Fwd: Re: Books On Engineering Tech Comm vs Crafting Tech Comm?

Subject: Fwd: Re: Books On Engineering Tech Comm vs Crafting Tech Comm?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:50:12 -0800 (PST)

Dick:

Weiss's book on using an Engineering approach to tech
comm is often quoted and referenced. I therefore
(loosely) refer to it as a "classic" on the subject.

An Engineered approach also called a Modular approach.
Organinzing documentation by first chunking the
subject into "right-size" pieces is a key element of
this approach.

A Crafting approach is also called a Linear approach.
It is simular to the approach used in writing a novel.
Basically involves crafting one paragraph after
another in sequence, without first chunking.

Note: Do to car problem, I might not be able to
further post for awhile (rest of today). I am
currently drawing a DFD to analize the situation:-)

Tony Markos

--- Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

Tony Markos wrote:

To all:

Besides Edmond Weiss's "classic", can anyone recommend
tech comm books that do a good job of comparing
the "Engineered" approach to creating technical
communications vs the "Crafting" approach to
creating technical communications?

Tony,

Engineering _is_ a craft, to a large extent. I'm
not sure what "Edmond Wiess's 'classic'" is [note
proper use of double and single quotes <g>];
but I suspect my false-dichotomy antennae would be
all aquiver if I were to read it.

Could you outline what you see as the criteria that
allow you to perceive two different approaches?

Dick

> > PS: I hope you didn't take offense at my wisecrack
> > yesterday.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com