flipping burgers (was Re: landing the first job)

Subject: flipping burgers (was Re: landing the first job)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:11:56 -0500

Steven Brown wrote:

At the very least, you will be expected to demonstrate
your ability to write clear and concise instructions.
You can create your own writing samples by rewriting
bad documentation that you find or documenting
processes or procedures wherever you work today (even
if you're flipping burgers or selling shoes).

Speaking of flipping burgers, has anyone else ever noticed the product assembly instructions in fast food places. I don't know if this is true in all chains, but in more than one place I've glimpsed large, clear posters on the kitchen walls, showing the order of assembly for trademarked sandwiches. They're audience-appropriate, considering that large chains often hire people with limited cognitive ability or limited English reading skills to fill a certain percentage of positions. The posters rely almost entirely on clear, intuitive drawings and numbers, with as little text as possible. They reinforce whatever training was given, without being in the way of more experienced workers. Given the context, I'd say these are superb pieces of technical "writing."

The same companies have packaging designed to make the workers' jobs easier, too. One wrapper might server for four different sandwiches, with a circular target in the middle for aligning the bun and an arrow on each edge to identify which way to fold the wrapper, depending on which sandwich in being wrapped, so that the correct label is on the outside when it is turned right-side-up.

My only point is, to reinforce what Steven said, that there is room for good, clear communication of instructions in all industries.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com