Read-out of b/w and color pages?

Subject: Read-out of b/w and color pages?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:01:04 -0500

Mats Broberg wondered: <<To set prices for our manuals in our ERP system, we need to retrieve how many pages are b/w and how many are in full color - and, ideally, if two continous pages (odd + even) are both b/w or both full color. Our manuals are printed digitally, so that is the reason. Does anyone know of an Acrobat plugin that could retrieve this kind of information?>>

I don't know of any Acrobat plug-ins, but here are a couple tricks you can try in most creator applications:

- Print color separations--but to PDF, not to paper. (Paper works too, but why kill more trees?) Then skip through the PDF of the CMY plates, page by page, looking for any non-blank pages.

- Based on the color swatches defined in your color palette, use the software's search function one color at a time to find each occurrence of that color. Build a table (color names as the column titles) to store the pages with each color. Jot down the page numbers in that table as the search function finds them.

Both kludgy, but should work. If you're going to be doing this often, it might be worth investing in some form of imposition software.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com