Re: Trying to open another program using Framemaker Hypertext

Subject: Re: Trying to open another program using Framemaker Hypertext
From: "Simon North" <Simon -dot- North -at- quintiq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:13:27 +0100

Hi Simon,

You should take this question to a Frame list really, but because of your name I couldn't resist.

In UNIX you could use a system hypertext link, but this isn't present in the Windows version.

There is, however, a way to open a program. You use the message URL hypertext link, like this:

message URL file:///c:/program%20files/office/winword.exe

I haven't (yet) been able to find a way to pass the program a file name as an argument (I have tried writing a batch file, but then the browser needs to be configured to see the batch file as an executable rather than as a text file).

Note however, that this is not portable to the PDF file; then you should look at how to do it in the PDF file. I'm not an Acrobat expert, but you can put a link in a PDF to call a Javascript 'program' (I use the term loosely). With the:

document.location.href="yourbatchfile";

Javascript code, you should (I haven't tried it) be able to run the batch file, which would then have the name of the executable and the name of the file you want to open. It's messy, but it should work * or at least give you a few pointers in the right direction.

hth

Simon North

Quintiq Application Software BV
's Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands