RE: landing the first job

Subject: RE: landing the first job
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:43:45 -0500

And technical knowledge can often be required for creative writing. The
most obvious example is hard science-fiction, but I've read some
"mainstream" fiction and seen several episodes of TV shows in which the
authors didn't have all their facts straight regarding some specialized
subject. For example, when a medical show deals with one of several eye
disorders of which I have first-hand knowledge, I know if they get it
wrong.

I also remember a passage from Robin Cook's COMA that suggests that even
if he's a doctor, he's ignorant of some matter concerning computers.
There was a scene where the protagonist wanted to do the back-then
equivalent of an online search. The text described her efforts to write
her search in the PL/I programming language. Well, PL/I is not a search
query language. PL/I is a programming language like C+ or Visual Basic.
You use it to code software, not the write search queries. You might
use it to create a database management program, but you wouldn't use it
to search the database. Even if a PL/I program was used to read and
process the user's input, the user would not think in terms of writing a
search query in PL/I.