Re: Moving to InDesign....

Subject: Re: Moving to InDesign....
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:29:02 -0600

During the release cycle for Frame 7, Bruce Chisen (CEO of Adobe) did
an interview that was for a time available on the Internet. In it, he
commented that Adobe will be moving the Frame feature set onto the
InDesign code base.

Adobe marketing immediately had heart failure, and a very interesting
news release was issued that said, essentially, that their CEO didn't
know what he was talking about!

Shortly after, as I recall, the major part of Frame development was
moved offshore.

To me, the signs are unmistakable...Adobe wants to stay in technical
publishing, but to reduce its overhead by folding the features into
InDesign or, perhaps, releasing a version of it that is targeted at
tech pubs. That way, they can at some point in the not-so-distant
future abandon the older Frame code base while attempting to maintain
their market share in tech pubs.

If my crystal ball is working, I'd guess that this change will take
place within the next 18-24 months on the outside. However, I have no
current sources at Adobe to confirm or deny this speculation.

David

> InDesign 4.0 (CS 2 or whatever) should come sometime early to mid next year if Adobe keeps the 18
> months release cycle. Perhaps we'll see some better long document support then.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com