tools: RoboHelp X5 vs WebWorks Publisher for Word

Subject: tools: RoboHelp X5 vs WebWorks Publisher for Word
From: "Wendy Cunningham" <wcunning -at- pct -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:59:46 -0500

I have an unconventional situation and am looking for some advice. I did
search the archives, but didn't find the kind of information I need.

The Scenario: I'm a technical editor for a small college. Currently,
all of our policies and procedures are Word docs stored on a network
drive for read-only access. Many of these documents are very long and
detailed (not to mention painful to use if you're looking for a specific
tidbit of information).

We also have a home-grown administrative information system that has
been "documented" (also in Word) by various departments. For example, HR
staff documented the programs relating to employee records and Financial
Operations staff documented budget processes.

We are beginning to move in the direction of Web-based applications and
are researching the possibility of creating an employee Web portal.

The Challenge: We're looking for an authoring tool that can handle all
of our internal documentation needs -- from Help systems to policy
manuals. If that weren't a tall enough order, we need it to be easy to
learn so that it can be used by people with various levels of computer
expertise. Some are comfortable with complex software, but some only
know Word. Finally, I need content control so that nothing gets posted
without being edited.

I'm somewhat familiar with RoboHelp, because I used it to create
software help a couple of years ago. But I'm not at all familiar with
WebWorks Publisher, which was recommended to me because of its XML
foundation and single-sourcing capabilites. I've gone to the WebWorks
site, but it doesn't tell me what I really need to know. For instance,
the site says you can use WebWorks to create several different help
formats, but it doesn't say if you can create help with interactive
elements such as image maps, pop-ups, and expanding text.

If there's anyone out there who has used both of these applications and
can help me compare and contrast functionality, please contact me off
list (I'm on digest). Or if you work in a similar environment and have
an alternate suggestion, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Wendy

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com