Re: Technical Documentation using Excel

Subject: Re: Technical Documentation using Excel
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:50:58 -0500

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:13:47 -0500, Hamlett, Ashaki
<Ashaki -dot- Hamlett -at- pfizer -dot- com> wrote:

> The hiring manager stated she wanted to verify my friend's competency using Office,
> therefore, she requested writing samples of technical documentation using Microsoft
> Excel. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience creating technical
> documentation using Excel?

It's possible that the hiring manager wants to know whether your
friend can (for example) use Excel to produce charts and graphs for
technical reporting. It's more likely that the hiring manager doesn't
really understand what Excel is used for. Did the hiring manager also
ask for examples of technical documentation developed in Powerpoint or
Access? :-)

I *have* used Excel extensively in planning my documentation projects.
Use it all the time for requirements matrices (as another poster has
mentioned) and also for task analysis summary tables, etc.

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com