RE: Consultging after RIF'd

Subject: RE: Consultging after RIF'd
From: Gordon Mclean <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- mclarensoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:58:35 -0000

I've never done it but an ex-colleague of mine has.

He did some digging and got the standard contractor rates in his area and
then had two choices:
1. Undercut slightly - assuming it's higher than your salary would've been.
Should get you the gig as long as you mention that you're a 'cheaper than
the average rate'.
2. Overprice slightly - you'll hit the ground running and they don't have
any lag getting you up to speed so you'll be more productive than a
contractor.

Ultimately his view was the HE was doing THEM a favour, but I guess that
depends a lot on previous relations with the company/people.

I'm not entirely sure which option he took though. How badly do you need the
money?

Gordon

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses, however, No liability is accepted for any viruses contained in this message or any of its attachments and it is the recipient?s liability to scan this message and its attachment for the same.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com