RE: techwr-l digest: December 13, 2004

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: December 13, 2004
From: "tech.writer" <tech -dot- writer -at- insightbb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:47:14 -0600

John,

The short answer is "it depends." I freelanced for my old company and
before I did, I researched a lot through the STC Independent Consultant
SIG. I found that you should generally double your hourly wage because
you might have to pay your share of Social Security taxes, plus any
other expenses. (I started a company.) It depends on if you think you
might go the independent route for a while. If this is the case, you
might have to start a company, which opens another can of worms. If this
is just a short term project and you intend to be a wage-slave, then you
probably could lower the price if you do not need to pay SS taxes.
Another thing to keep in mind is your unemployment payments. Depending
on the rules where you live, if you make money while collecting
unemployment, you might have to report it. If you want more advice,
contact me off-list.

Tim Lewis
Lewis Communications
www.lewiscomms.com

> Anyway...I'm curious about how others have approached this...how did
> you structure the arranemment and how much over the salary (when
> broekn out to an hourly charge) did you charge?
>
> =====
> John Posada

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com