Documentation Production

Subject: Documentation Production
From: Aarti Shetty <aartishetty2005 -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:02:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I am creating a User Guide for an existing thick and
thin client application. The User Guide is a PDF
deliverable. Where should the User Guide be located in
the product directory structure? The CM Manager
recommends that it should be a server component, and I
agree. I am writing to find out if there is a standard
location for product documentation in the product
directory structure, in such a scenario.

I would like to maintain the same directory structure
for ensuing versions of this product. Will this work
well, considering that the next release of the same
product will be a full thin client application? The
User Guide will continue to be a PDF deliverable.

Secondly, I will be creating the WebHelp deliverable
for both versions of the application. I concur with
the CM manager to have Help served from the server.
But, I am not sure which location to place the Help
system in the product directory structure.

My assignments so far have called for me to create and
check-in the documentation deliverables. I have always
worked in large documentation teams that have required
production managers to take decisions about the
documentation directory structure. I haven?t had a
chance in my previous assignments to understand why
documentation is located and served from specific
locations in the product directory structure. I am
currently the sole writer in the product group that I
am working with and I am faced with the challenge of
making production calls. I believe that I should have
stretched myself in my previous assignments to
understand all aspects of documentation. But I also
believe it isn?t too late to learn.

I will appreciate if senior writers who have made
production calls to help me understand the aspect.

Thanks,
Aarti

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com

Previous by Thread: Re: Typical screen resolution, these days (or, WHY IS CSS the way it is -- haven't we learned ANYTHING in ALL THESE YEARS no, guess we have not)?