Re: Question on Mac Draw

Subject: Re: Question on Mac Draw
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:21:28 -0800

>> I had a colleague ask me if I knew of a way to
convert old Mac Draw files. He said they were
originally on a Microsoft 5.0 machine. He said
when he opens them, all of the text gets turned 90
degrees. <<

Wow, this is going really far back in my TW career.

I found an unused Mac and started using MacDraw for
my technical drawings, while my colleagues were still
using pencil. When the manager realized what could be
produced with a computer, he went out and bought a
bunch of PCs, then found the only drawing package
available was GEM Draw. We eventually went to
Interleaf and in these conversions, the text blocks
turned 90% as well.

If I recall correctly, it was changing back to the
default orientation of the text block. MacDraw used
something internal to orient the text if it was
changed, while the converters couldn't translate the
internal code properly.

I ended up creating a macro within Interleaf to
selectively rotate the text blocks.

No real solution, just that it isn't anything
particular to you, it's how MacDraw gets interpreted
by other applications, and maybe look to tools
within the new program to re-orient the text for you.

CB - who doesn't miss GEM Draw one teensy tiny bit
and wished the manager had had a clue at the time:
Find the application first, then the OS
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.