Re: difficulties with the boss

Subject: Re: difficulties with the boss
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:25:45 -0600

Anyone who participates in "screaming matches" is contributing to the
problem...regardless of who might have been the instigator.

It is not necessary to accept verbal abuse--especially in front of
other employees. However, it is also not necessary to sink to her
level in trying to defend yourself! That puts you in a "no win"
situation. A quiet but insistent "Let's discuss this after you have
calmed down a little" followed by a return to your other tasks may be
just the ticket.

There are several tactics that can be surprisingly effective. One is
to ask that directions from the boss be put in writing...usually, this
kind of manager doesn't want anything on record.

Second, as someone else suggested, you are going through entirely too
many review cycles.

Third, have each person involved in review--including the
manager--initial each chapter, page, or whatever as being acceptable.
If, later, they want additional changes, you are then in a position to
ask "What changed in the material you have already approved...?"

Document, document, document. Even if the *manager* does not want to
put instructions in writing, *YOU MUST!* After such a meeting with
her, write a confirming memo restating what you discussed, and what
her instructions are. Send it to her as a routine matter...and keep
copies *off premises.* (In legal stuff, this is called "keeping a
contemporaneous record" and, where the usual practice, is considered
valid proof when there is no response from her to the contrary at the
same time).

No matter what happens, don't sink to her emotional level! It is
important that *you* remain professional even if she does not.
However, be careful not to appear in any way overbearing or
condescending in doing so.

At the beginning of the review cycle, consider sending everyone
involved a memo outlining the review procedures--including deadlines
for comments, number of review cycles, etc.

Regarding your question about "who is the expert on wording"....no,
the tech writer is not always such an "expert." For example, there are
terms familiar to engineers that tend to be universally used and
understood by engineers. Thus, if you are working on a document for
engineers, an SME may be using language which is more familiar within
that context. Taking an adversarial position and/or becoming difficult
because "you are the writer" is a completely self-defeating maneuver.

Instead, consider your method in dealing with this sort of "nit
picking" suggestions. Often, you may be able to restate the objection
in a very neutral way that does not give offense, but that may outline
your concerns. Something like:

"If I understand you correctly, you think that a wording change from
XXX to YYY is needed here. Perhaps you can enlighten me--is this a
term that has a special meaning that the users will understand
better?" Then, *listen* to the response.

Unlike some other forms of writing, tech writing is very often a team
effort. To begin to think in terms of the prima donna is to deny the
effectiveness that a team can bring to these tasks. Personally, I am
always happy to learn a better way to express what I am trying to
say--no matter who points it out. I often joke, in fact, that "I am
happy to steal ideas from anyone!" This tends to disarm others on the
team, as they begin to appreciate that I have no ownership of anything
but the best possible results.

Finally, we often get from other people responses based upon our own
expectations and our resulting attitudes. Thus, it is a good idea to
occasionally ask that manager for some "direction" prior to the steps
that have been giving you problems. If, for example, you work from an
outline of what is to be covered, be sure you go over it with her
first. If she feels involved in the process from its inception, she
will feel more like a "hands on" manager and is more likely to take
her paranoia down a notch.

Oh, yes...try to stick with the "me" statements so much beloved of pop
psychology. Instead of "You told me to do this!" try "Perhaps I'm
mistaken, but I understood you to say that..." If, when combined with
the confirming memo you have already sent as a result of the prior
situation, she can still claim you are in the wrong, then she has
problems much more serious than you are likely to deal with.

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com