RE: Confusion about counters in autonumber format in FM

Subject: RE: Confusion about counters in autonumber format in FM
From: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:53:56 -0800

Wow. I immediately received several good suggestions on- and off-list,
which not only helped me solve my problem but also greatly increased my
understanding of the basic concepts of autonumbering. The thing almost
everyone immediately picked up on was the difference in the number of
brackets between Headings 1-3 and Heading 4. I didn't know the number of
brackets had to be the same, and I certainly didn't know that the number
of brackets had to be the same across headings, figures, tables, etc.
Once I tweaked the autonumbering for all these entities, Heading 4
displayed perfectly and I had a moment of glee, not just because the
problem was solved but because I understood why I had the problem in the
first place, which means I can more easily solve such problems in the
future. I feel confident that I will be much less frustrated from now on
when I have to deal with autonumbering.

Thank you so much to all those who responded. I never cease to be amazed
at what a valuable resource this list is and at the participants'
incredible wealth of knowledge and willingness to help.

Yippee!
Amanda

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com