Documentation Tasks - survey & questions

Subject: Documentation Tasks - survey & questions
From: mearro -at- msn -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:30:51 -0700

I would appreciate info about how much time different documentation groups
spend to produce certain output or deliverables.

Although every group has a different set of priorities, there are some
common delieverables that most groups perform. I'm interested in
identifying how much of your resources you devote to these deliverables.

* User docs (help systems, user guides)
* Install guides or material
* Release Notes
* White papers
* Training docs (CBT, guides, etc.)
* QA test plans or product testing
* Marketing or sales literature
* Other output

In our doc group, we spend time on many non-deliverables (general
planning, management, training, etc.) However, I would respond to this
survey as follows:

* User docs (help systems, user guides) (50%)
* Install guides or material (50%)

Our doc group is understaffed compared to other groups in our company.
There's nothing I can do about that. However, I believe we are spending an
inordinate amount of time on certain deliverables - in part because of
other groups. I believe by looking at the results of this survey we may be
able to improve some of our processes.

If I receive offline replies, I'll post a summary to the list.

Thanks,
Mary

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com