Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Purpose Driven Technical Writing
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:56:41 -0600

Tony,

As to DFDs being your "only" tool...I can but judge from your frequent
and extensive references to them--often in terms that seem to belittle
other tech writers on the list. In fact, you seem often to go out of
your way to preach to the list about this one technique.

As for what *I* am passionate about...that is a long and extensive list.

I am passionate about attaining clarity, for example, whether in
documentation I write or in the logic in argumentation. I am
passionate about balance in work and in life.

Most of all, though, I am passionate about my family.

What makes me "unique" as a techwriter? Now, that is a highly
subjective judgement! If by "unique" you mean what I may be able to do
that no one else can, I would not be so forward as to suggest such a
status. (In fact, it is one of my "pet peeves" that we are so sloppy
in use of words like "unique"!)

If by "unique" you mean...not "unique" but, perhaps, "special" as
compared to the majority (which I propose is what you meant)...then I
would say my understanding of customers' business processes and a
broad-based flexibility in seeking and finding solutions.

I suppose another way in which I may stand out is that I tend to be
very rapid in producing quality deliverables...and my orientation to
produce user documentation that is good enough that sales and
marketing types may use it for sales collateral for prospective
customers.

As for tools and methodologies, I regard them all as merely arrows in
my quiver...and I tend to select the arrows with an eye to what
targets I am trying to hit!

I don't know how long you've been around...but I've seen many "flavor
of the month" techniques come and go over many years. While I still
enjoy learning new things every day, I am less impressed by those
advocating one technique to the exclusion of others than you seem to
be.

David

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:52:52 -0800 (PST), Tony Markos
<ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Err, by the way David, what are you passionate about -
> what makes YOU unique as a Technical Writer?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com