RE: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)

Subject: RE: Re: Seeking counsel - yet another difficult work situation (very long!)
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:44:06 -0500

> So do you have any practical suggestions for how to combat shyness?

I don't know if you could call what I did practical, but it
was certainly effective. I not only had to combat shyness, I
had to overcome severe stage-fright. I'd just landed a job as
a software trainer, so I knew I was going to be called upon to
stand up in front of a classroom and speak -- it came with the
job!

I'd always been fond of music and have a pretty good singing
voice, and my husband, retraining at the local junior
college, was after me to take a couple of classes just for the
fun of it. They had a voice class. The format of the class
was to join in a group warm-up for the first 30 minutes or so,
take a break, and then take turns performing solos on stage
in front of the entire class and having the instructor and
class critique your performance -- often calling upon you to
repeat your performance until you got it right.

Baptism by fire, but it worked. After 3 semesters of voice
class, I can pretty much stand up and speak (or sing) anywhere
without blowing it.

But I still have to push myself into walking up to people
and starting a conversation at parties. <sigh>

-Sue Gallagher

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com