Re: shyness - was Seeking counsel

Subject: Re: shyness - was Seeking counsel
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:08:33 -0500

Robyn Richards wrote:

Also - fake it till you make it.

I can vouch for this method. Being normally the 'shy' type, I took a vow on one particular contract to ALWAYS appear outgoing, smilling, happy, and in control. The response was amazing - people where more co-operative, more comfortable to approach me (rather than me having to seek them out).
And at the end of the contract they commented on how they would miss my 'confident' self!

Exactly! I had a doc manager once who said, with respect to corporate culture and office behavior in general, "It's all show business." His particular trick, gleaned from his many years in the doc department at IBM, was never to walk around empty handed. Carry a clipboard or a file folder or a couple of sheets of paper, and walk as if you are walking _to_ someplace for a meeting. Don't wander slowly, aimlessly, and emptyhanded, even if the only reason you are vertical is because you have to cogitate about some tricky piece of writing. Give the appearance, in other words, that you are a busy person with important stuff to attend to. This alone brings you greater respect from coworkers and managers.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com