Biz: Errors and omissions insurance in Canada?

Subject: Biz: Errors and omissions insurance in Canada?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:40:04 -0500

Cross-posted to copyediting-l and techwr-l. Apologies if you see this twice!

I'm currently bidding on a government contract. Last time, they asked me to obtain coverage equal to $2 million of the equivalent of "errors and omissions" (professional liability) insurance. Given that this was an editing job and my standard contract places the onus for confirming the correctness of my work on the authors, I convinced the contract officer to drop this clause. However, he warned me that this might not be possible in the future.

In case I'm forced to obtain the insurance, I'd like to find out if there are any bargains out there. (Last time I checked, costs were in the thousands.) Since I'm working ***in Canada***, I'd prefer pointers towards ***Canadian*** insurers; although U.S. insurers may be willing to cover a Canadian, I strongly suspect that there are traps for the unwary in such cross-border arrangements.

Please copy your response to me, and I'll summarize the results in a week or so. Thanks in advance!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com