RE: Multi-purpose / Single source

Subject: RE: Multi-purpose / Single source
From: "Broberg, Mats" <Mats -dot- Brobergold -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:20:10 +0100

T.W. Smith wrote:

> Beyond that, FM+WWP offers a GUI-based environment that's
> oriented towards technical writing with, really, no
> programming nor database management needed.
>
> XML does not offer such a wrapper.
>
> But, I would say XML is a better way to go from a
> professional-development, get-ready-for-the-future,
> career-building perspective; it's just that XML might be more
> expensive in learning curve and maintenance than an employer needs.

An XML solution may very well be overkill for the original poster's
problems (it probably is), but I think that it's unfair to rule out XML
for reasons of programming, database management and maintenance.
Usually, these things are outsourced to external consultants anyway, and
when the XML solution is implemented you're all set and ready to go.

Regarding the learning curve, I had more trouble learning Framemaker
than learning to use the XML system we bought. I've heard people who
share the same experience.

There are some undisputable advantages with XML that one should not
forget, e.g. full Unicode complicance, non-propriety format, support
from the vast number of emerging three-letter technologies, streamlining
of translations flows etc.

An article about our XML implementation is available on the TECHWR-L
site.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager