RE: Document Wildly Until Someone Blows A Whistle

Subject: RE: Document Wildly Until Someone Blows A Whistle
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:26:31 -0800

Somehow, I knew this would come back to DFDs. I just knew it. ;-)

Scoping and chunking the content is part of estimating. Estimating means
understanding how the project is structured and what parts need to go in the
project - not SHOULD go in the project, but NEED to go in the project. And a
senior writer can do this using hand puppets and a system of lapel pins, for
all I care, as long as it works for them.

Tony, you are obviously a visual learner so DFDs appeal to you. I'm not a
visual learner, so the idea of creating diagrams just frustrates me.
Pictures of systems don't have much meaning for me. Words, the relationships
of the words on the page have much greater meaning for me. When I was an
anthropology grad student, the drawings of sites the archaeologists came up
with always left me frustrated. They didn't convey the texture of the site.
Something was missing for me.

Please remember that while DFDs are the Holy Grail for you, for us
non-visual learners, they are just frustrating to think about. There are
many ways to reach the same goal of accurately estimating your projects. But
we all need to be estimating our projects.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
951-369-8590