RE: Asking SMEs (was Seeking counsel - yet another)

Subject: RE: Asking SMEs (was Seeking counsel - yet another)
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:05:55 -0500

I'm going to make one more comment here, on the 'ask questions and talk to people' side of this.

My experience has not been huge, but so far, I have had two types of co-workers, neither of whom asked questions. One type was trying to keep their job, do what was required, and not make waves of any kind. Not naturally curious, these co-workers didn't learn much, but met expectations set for this kind of job.

The other type was more enterprising, and exclusively male (as I said, I haven't worked for 20 years, so that may be why). These co-workers would come up with their own systems, would read things that came their way, and would try to figure things out themselves. They also didn't cause trouble for SMEs. However, as everything revolved around what they could figure out at their computers, they never learned much about the business, weren't interested in what others where doing, and just didn't seem 'with it'. It's kind of a heroic approach. I don't feel these folks were living up to their potential either.

So for me, the guidelines below are true but not sufficient, as we learned to say in philosophy class.

Thanks for the discussion, and the guidelines. I'll leave it at that. I get the impression others have quite different work environments than I have / had.

Eileen Neumann