RE: Comparison of XML tools

Subject: RE: Comparison of XML tools
From: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:31:53 -0600

Andrea Leszek wrote:

> Our team is considering moving to XML-based documentation and we're
> trying to pick a tool for content creation. Has anyone done research
on
> this already or know of a site that compares popular tools? I'd be
very
> happy to leverage any work that anyone else has already done :-) I've
> been looking at Epic, Structured FrameMaker, XMLSpy, Xmetal.

We are using Xmetal and have found that it is both quite stable and
flexible for our needs (esp. compared to XMLSpy, which we are also using
on a limited basis). The only catch is that it has gone through multiple
owners in the past two years, so there is a question of who is
supporting what and which features are being upgraded. However, by and
large, it has been extremely easy to learn and adapt to.

I would also suggest that you go look at some of Arbortext's free
on-line seminars and review their "Top Mistakes" stuff - in your
position, it might help you avoid some of them.

Respectfully,

Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor
Technical Information Systems