Re: Fw: Rational Requisite and ClearCase for Application Docs?

Subject: Re: Fw: Rational Requisite and ClearCase for Application Docs?
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:12:54 EST

To All

I am most familiar with the 'challenge' you face. My comments may be 'too
much information (TMI)' but after many years (over 20) in the Information
Technology arena, some time what was TMI is just what is needed 'next week'.

On my last task with a US Government activity we had the same challenge, as
well as addressing the effort of applying for assessment for the Software
Engineering Institute Capability Maturity Model (SEI-CMM), Software Capability
Maturity Model (SW-CMM), and the Level 2/3 assessment.

Talk about traceability of documentation!!! (Show a minimum of 6 months
documentation and its evolution/versions.) And the amount of documentation that
must be provided to the assessors to back up your claims.

The following is my experience, and my comments are my own, based on this
experience.

The Rational Unified Process (RUP) is divided into 9 'disciplines', and each
discipline has a place in the 'folder' structure.

When a project is initiated, RUP creates a folder structure for the Project,
and initially has 9 subfolders. All well, and good. However, RUP is a
development application and not a project management application.

In our effort to address a "Project", and its management, we found that we
needed to address the project as a whole, and we created additional folders to
address project management activities.. That gave us 18 folders for each
project. A large number, but it addressed all of the concerns of project
managers. (We ultimately had 15 projects that were committed to use the folder
structure that was developed). (I led the effort for this, and had some
wonderful people working WITH me.)

The documentation required to address both the SW-CMM and the RUP
environment is extensive. However, the use of generic TEMPLATEs for the documentation
allowed us to standardize If you a the templates to be used by all projects.

Each project could modify the TEMPLATES for their internal use. The
standard templates were under configuration management (separate from the projects)
and under the control of the Duality Assurance team. Each of the projects
made appropriate modifications for their projects. These documents were
controlled by the project configuration manager using ClearCase for the project.

The SW-CMM has been replaced by the SW-CMMI. You can get the base CMMI
document by going to http://www.sei.cmu.edu/ and searching the site for CMMI.
Or, you can search for the Technical Report "CMU/SEI-2002-TR-002".

The full title is" CMMI (service mark) for Systems Engineering/Software
Engineering, Version 1.1, Staged Representation (CMMI-SE/SW, V1.1, Staged)".

--------------------------

I hope that this helps. My comments above may have been a little off-topic
as relates to the detail you gave in the original email, but shows how
important it is to address the impact on the "Enterprise" (company you work for),
when you are dealing with 'many' projects, and their associated documentation..

I am sure that we all have had to look 'outside the box' for solutions.
Especially where it is important to have two focuses; one, on the project
itself, and two, on ALL of the projects we have to deal with.

BTW, we had over 100+ document 'types' to deal with. And control the
modification of the TEMPLATEs.

If requested, I will provide additional comments relative to this topic to
the TECHWR-L list

Sincerely,

Harry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com