RE: Outsourcing in Earnest

Subject: RE: Outsourcing in Earnest
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- bridgeport-networks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:47:20 -0600

From: Phillip St. James

> It seems very odd and perhaps disrespectful that you would want US
writers
> to assist you to successfully displace themselves and/or their local
> colleagues in favor of less qualified, and purposely underpaid newbies
> our field.

I don't know about you... but I was a less qualified and purposely
underpaid newbie at one point. :)

It's hard to place any accountability on the people who have to "deal"
with outsourcing because they are forced to move in that direction with
their company. I had a hiring manager tell me early in 2004 that while
they'd have loved to devote all their headcount to U.S. employees,
people above them decided since they were suffering from an overload of
work and it made more sense to go with 1 new U.S. employee and hire 4 in
India for the price of the other and hope for the best.

Food for thought.

- Victoria

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com