Re: Outsourcing in Earnest

Subject: Re: Outsourcing in Earnest
From: Amico Italiano <tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:55:02 -0800

This is no sick joke. Any of us could end up in the position I am in, having survived a layoff and being left to pick up the pieces. Nothing was taken care of ahead of time, and now myself and two other writers have been given the task of setting up an offshore documentation department in India and making sure it works. This is our opportunity to keep our jobs. If we fail, it's our heads on the chopping block. That is why I am asking for help.

I am not any happier about the situation than the rest of you, but this sort of thing is going to become a fact of life for more and more writers. Don't blame me for the circumstances that produced this sort of thing. Blame corporate greed and indifference. I voted for Ralph Nader, so don't tell me about the evils of outsourcing. Thanks.

- t

tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com wrote:

Frankly, I'm suspicious of the entire message from you, "Amico Italiano." I'm beginning to think this is some sort of classless joke. If it isn't a joke then it is just plain unprofessional to ask Writers that are looking over their shoulders in fear of this happening to them to help you in making this transition. Also, I would think that the logistics of finding Indian Writers would have already been taken care of before you laid everyone off.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com