Re: Outsourcing in Earnest

Subject: Re: Outsourcing in Earnest
From: "L." <beantown_tw -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:11:31 -0800 (PST)

Let me first say that it seems someone misspoke when
they referred to "non-American" TW'ers are incapable,
underpaid, etc. If I might put words in his/her
mouth, I imagine that he/she indeed meant "TW'ers from
non-English-speaking backgrounds."

As for helping you out with your little quest,
Amico... bark up another tree. You'll find about as
much cooperation with your inquiry here as the Indians
who some here asking about stupid crap like that
Manisha (and the others who change their online IDs on
total idiots...)

If you assume that the Indian participants in this and
other, similar message lists are the best possible
example of who is supposed to be "in the know" and
somewhat up-to-date on our profession as far as India
tech writers go, that's really sad. I can't possibly
believe that you OR your company actually believe that
outsourcing with them is something that you should be
dabbling in. Those "Senior Vice Presidents for
Documentation" who come here to inquire about the use
of the semicolon will take your job, eat it for lunch,
and then leave you with a nice mess in the toilet to
clean up afterwards.

Personally, if I were you, I'd quit my job and look
elsewhere. After all, when those "writers" in India
screw up big time (and they will!), it's your neck on
the chopping block for not making the impossble come
true. Have fun with that.

For the record, I work in a place where there will
*never* be layoffs or outsourcing, and I am still as
firm against helping you out with this as the next
guy. Even if it's not my job going out the door, it's
still bad enough that it's my neighbor's, brother's,
parents', etc.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com