Politics of "outsourcing?"

Subject: Politics of "outsourcing?"
From: "Rene S." <rinnie1 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:07:12 -0500

Esteemed colleagues,

I have received an interesting request from my main client. They want me to
"find a company that will outsource all or part of the documentation
process." I'm in the US, and the client is not a US corporation.

I think this request is in response to my manager's requests for headcount
increases during 2005 to accommodate some growth in the product lines, which
was approved by the US chain of command, and then sent across the pond.
FWIW, the comment was made that they're more concerned about headcount than
cost. OK, so that sounds like they're willing to pay for expertise, right?
;-)

The first thing to enter my mind is, isn't that what they're already doing?
I'm a consultant, and through 2004 was sole proprietor, but I just
incorporated. There are no FT permanent writers on this client's staff. They
have a contract with me and a contract with another independent contractor
type of consultant through 3/2005. (I'm sure the timing isn't a
coincidence.) I think they're looking for consolidation, but my gut tells me
that in this market where more and more tech-related jobs are leaving the
States, it's probably more than a 1-check-to-write urge toward simpler
accounting. Moreover, this company hasn't typically asked for any input from
their US employees/contractors before making decisions - usually just info
to substantiate decisions they've already made.

I am considering whether offering to hire writers under my corporation to
meet whatever growing needs they have would be feasible or advisable, but I
haven't heard success stories from people who have done that... quite the
opposite - lots of horror stories.

I know a lot of you have been through horrible layoffs and corporate
blood-letting, and many of you in the US have seen jobs shift from US to
other nations with cheaper labor pools (numbers talk). Please let me know
if this type of request is a flashback for you. Any advice at this point is
quite welcome.

PS, I receive the digest, so if you'd cc: me directly when you respond to
the post, I'd appreciate it for expediency.

Rene S.
E-mail: rinnie1 -at- yahoo -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com