pagination issues causing problems....?

Subject: pagination issues causing problems....?
From: liss_clark -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:52:29 -0700

I have a weird FrameMaker issue that I hope someone has the answer to.
Over the past 2 weeks, I have had some issues when updating book files and
creating PDFs. The issue seems to be related to the fact that each
individual file in the template has separate Pagination settings from the
book file settings. So for example, in the chapter.fm file, the
pagination is set to first page Left and Make Page Count Even. However,
if you go to the book file and look at chapter.fm, it is set to Next
Available and Make Page Count Even.

The first time I encountered any problem with this, it seemed that the
Cover.fm file (if all of the individual files were not set appropriately)
was creating a third (and blank) page in the file. Each time I looked at
that file?s pagination, it was giving Delete Empty Pages as the setting.
It seemed that no matter how many times I manually deleted that extra
(3rd) page, when the file was regenerated, it would reset itself to Make
Page Count Odd and then recreate this extra page.

I just encountered another issue today that also seemed to fix itself
miraculously when I verified all of the files? paginations were set
correctly although I can?t confirm that that was the real problem. This
time what was happening was that chapters 1-6, TOC, LOF, and LOT were
there in the book file; however, when the PDF was created none of their
bookmarks appeared. I checked the bookmark settings several times and
everything was correct and even PDF?d one single file (which also produced
bookmarks). Anyway, I wasn?t sure what was going on so ended up going
back to check the pagination again since it had been a problem before.
The next time I PDF?d my book file after checking all of the files?
paginations, it PDF?d with all of the bookmarks.

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone else has seen these kind of issues
and if you can confirm that they are occurring because of the pagination
in the individual files being set differently from the book file settings.

I am cross-posting this question to the FrameMaker listserv. Please copy
replies directly to my email (liss_clark -at- yahoo -dot- com) as I am a digest
subscriber.

Thanks so much!
Melissa

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com