Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:21:41 +0000

I agree with you Peter.

When contracting, there are times I really need to be on site working. That is sometimes the best way to meet with SMEs and get access to other material. At the same time, for the writing, working off site is great--lets me work with fewer interruptions.

It will also depend on the nature of the project and the needs of the client.

One software documentation project I did, I was on site a couple of times during the project for meetings. Otherwise, I had a copy of the software beta sitting on my computer at home and I could do all my work there.

On another project, where I was doing procedures, I spent about half my time on site meeting with SMEs and pulling materials off the company intranet site. I even did some of the writing on site.

From: neilson -at- alltel -dot- net (Peter Neilson)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:03:16 -0500

Like polls from many organizations, this one is broken. At various
times I may happen to prefer any one or more of the choices I've
labeled (1) through (7) below. The polling mechanism, though, won't
allow me that choice. At least this poll has a selection for "Other,"
but even that does not actually fit the complexity of my situation
and feelings.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:25:59 -0600, Lisa M. Bronson <lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

> When contracting, I prefer to work:

(1) > * On-site, for access to people and equipment
(2) > * On-site, for structure and discipline
(3) > * On-site, for other reasons
(4) > * Off-site, to work when I want to work
(5) > * Off-site, cannot go there looking like this!
(6) > * Off-site, for other reasons
(7) > * It depends on the client

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com