Re: Re: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)

Subject: Re: Re: Two TOCs (Was: Transitioning user expectations...)
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:25:50 -0700

:: Task based documents are written that way. Their approach is
:: different, their structure is different, and they are written
:: differently than a function or feature based document.

Oh, I hear ya. My specific problem is that while I have client developers
out in the field who want task-based information about using the product,
I also have internal users, like managers and VPs who use the
documentation but think about the product in terms of the features. When
they can't find information in the ToC about a specific feature, that's
where they stop looking and email my manager to ask where the information
about the feature is. Tra la...

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com