Re: giving feedback to non writers

Subject: Re: giving feedback to non writers
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:05:18 -0500

Eileen,

Gentle-but-firm correction, and constructive criticism, are key.

Remember that even "non-writers" can get their egos wrapped up in
their work product; if you are perceived as someone who can give
criticism and help without being unpleasant, you will find that they
will come back to you for assistance again and again.

Give advice on content, form and structure as well as spelling,
grammar, and so forth.

One trick that I have used to encourage "non-writing" colleagues to
ask *me* for help is to ask *their* opinions of stuff I've written, as
a sort of peer-review, on the principle that you can never have too
many eyes on a sheet of copy before it goes out. They are only too
glad to ask me to return the "favor."

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com