Re: Typeface for Callout Boxes

Subject: Re: Typeface for Callout Boxes
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:58:12 -0500

I'm sure there are tons of typeface studies that will support any
argument you want to make. The be-all, end-all is that your readers
will need to be able to read the callout. As long as the overall
presentation is clean, the typeface shouldn't matter much. Use what
makes sense to you and your team, and apply reader feedback
cautiously.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:24:11 -0500, Sagendorph, Wallace <WIS8 -at- cdc -dot- gov> wrote:

> What is the conventional wisdom regarding typefaces for callout boxes?
> Should the callout box typeface differ from that used for the text? We
> use Times New Roman as the default text typeface. When callout boxes or
> text boxes are interspersed in the text, no rule governs whether the
> typeface within that box remains TNR, or is something else, perhaps a
> sans serif typeface such as Arial.
>
> It seems to me that recognition and readability are heightened when a
> different typeface appears in a callout box. And if any of you follow
> this practice, what typefaces do you use? Thank you most kindly for any
> suggestions.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com