Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?

Subject: Re: Why don't more job interviews use writing tests?
From: Dave Brown <david -dot- brown -at- tait -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:51:24 +1300

When I was hired for what I call my first Tech Writing Job (that wasn't the job title), I was asked to come in for the day, and produce a document.

The manager had been frustrated with two previous employees who could not write and didn't want to be burnt again.

I came in, worked with my SME, did some illustrations and wrote up a process.

To add some fun (or stress), I lost some work when one of the IT guys turned off a mains switch, taking down my computer.

Turned out the manager liked my work, and even learnt something about the process. And so, I was hired.

I didn't mind this approach as it gave me a chance to prove myself, and see how I fitted in the group. I think it actually worked for both sides.

FWIW, I applied for a camera repair job once, and they asked me to come in for the whole week.

One interview approach I didn't like (mostly because it was totally unexpected and I was unprepared for it) was a computer training company that asked all candidates to come for an interview at the same time and we had to explain to the other dozen why we should get the job. But that's another story....

--
Dave

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com