RE: Job Offer

Subject: RE: Job Offer
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:42:12 -0600

Shampa,

In the U.S., you have to provide proof of identity and employability before you can start a job. For U.S. citizens, this usually means your original birth certificate, driver's license, Social Security card, and such. For non-U.S. citizens, a green card or passport may be part of the required documentation. I have also had companies ask me to bring in my college diploma or my college transcripts.

When you bring in the originals, the employer makes a copy of them for their records. The originals typically don't leave your sight for longer than it takes someone to copy them. With some companies, they do all of this on the first day of your job. With others, they require you to bring in the documents before they will give you a start date.

It probably wouldn't hurt your friend to be cautious so he doesn't risk losing his originals. I would contact the company to clarify what they're asking for. Could he have misunderstood the requirements and they're just asking him to bring the originals with him when he starts the job?

Donna

Donna L. Jones
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.