Re: Job Offer

Subject: Re: Job Offer
From: Sarah Stegall <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:56:39 -0800

On Friday, February 11, 2005, at 06:34 AM, T.W. Smith wrote:

The copy of the original degree cert. is a new one on me, but given
how folks can lie about that, it makes sense for some positions.

While the passport demand makes sense for all the reasons others have listed, this request makes me highly suspicious. One does not verify a degree by asking that the degree holder bring in the physical diploma. One calls the institution that issued it. HR departments know this. I have two actual degrees on my wall, neither of which is anywhere near as "authentic looking" as I can produce with Photoshop in an hour or two. It's far easier to fake a non-standard document like a diploma than a passport (which is a felony anyway). This company's demand for an original degree certificate makes me think they're pretty inexperienced, or that this is an ID scam.

"The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself." -- Sir Winston Churchill

Sarah Stegall
munchkyn at munchkyn dot com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com