RE: Don't want absolute filespec

Subject: RE: Don't want absolute filespec
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:38:37 -0500

Victoria Nuttle [mailto:vnuttle -at- bridgeport-networks -dot- com]

> <snip>
>
> Unfortunately, when you Save as..., IE finds any local links
> inside your page (such as to PDF and readme files in the same
> directory, and turns them into fully qualified absolute filespecs
> like.....
>
> </snip>
>

> Are you using Notepad to create your file?

The original file is created by a graphic designer somewhere else
in the company. I don't know what tool they use. Output is quite
clean. Anyway, it's got the company colors, graphics and logos,
and has some placeholder links to files and web sites.
We writers adapt the text and links for our particular products.

So, all I have to change is a title, the names of a few files,
(the hrefs for the documents and webhelp in my customer doc set),
and it becomes my "START_HERE_myProductDocs.htm" page.
Notepad is as handy as anything else for that purpose.

I write for several products, so I copy it and modify it
to be the intro page on the CD for each product document set.

> Honestly... any time I code HTML without a tool, I stay as
> far away as I
> can from any IE or Word involvement, since if I wanted all
> the junk they
> stick in the file there, I would have put it there myself in the first
> place. :)

:-)

> If it's just warning you and not forcing you to do the Save
> as, I'd just skip that step.

The page consists of the START_HERE_myProductDocs.htm file
along with the "START_HERE_myProductDocsfiles" directory,
which holds the css and all the graphic elements.

So when I change products and want to rename the START_HERE...
to reflect the current product name, I have a choice:

1. I can rename the file in Windows, which breaks the connection
between the htm file and the directory of graphic bits. I rename
the directory, because it is going to be on the customer CD and
will look peculiar if it is named for some other product. Then
I have to edit the htm file to fix all the pointers to the css
and graphic bits in the renamed directory.

2. I can rename by opening with IE and doing "Save as...", which
automatically renames the associated directory and preserves all
those links, but it breaks all the links to start up my books
and readme and WebHelp, by inserting those absolute filespecs.
So, I have to edit the htm file to correct all the doco filespecs.

There's nothing difficult about it. It's not all that time-consuming...
unless I miss something, and then I have to realize and track it
down.

But it's something seemingly unnecessary that I have to remember
to do when I start each new doc set. I guess nobody else uses
a "front page" to introduce their document set and point to
their company web site, etc., or I'd have seen people nodding
and saying yes... and then telling me how they got around the
silly thing. :-)

It's Friday. Go home.

Cheers,

Kevin