Re: Capitalizing...research need

Subject: Re: Capitalizing...research need
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:12:42 -0600

Okay, Chuck...

First, Information Mapping. In procedures, the IM paradigm involves a
topic head with a brief explanation of the procedure, followed by the
steps involved, followed by a more in-depth discussion of what is
being done and why. This covers a single "chunk" of information, in
this case a single procedure.

Those who know generally what they're doing but want to be sure they
include all the steps zero in on the topic head and immediately skip
to the numbered procedures. Those who are generally familiar but are
performing this particular procedure for the first time will tend to
read the short capsule description followed by the steps.

Finally, those who are reviewing the topic in depth for a more full
understanding will include the material at the end of the chunk.

Side heads are also frequently used, for example to delineate sub-steps.

This arrangement allows the same document to be used for a wider range
of needs than many other forms do. Users aren't spending time skimming
for bold headings and such, particularly when there is a judicious use
of screen captures and appropriate graphics.

My points about bolding and such focused around the fact that
requirements and preferences in documenetation change, and changing
sporadic bolding is often a thankless task. If, instead, you have a
small graphic that *shows* the UI element where needed, the bold
element is much less significant to begin with and much easier to
reuse the information in any way that you may wish.

There is no substitute, I believe, for properly using styles
throughout a document. Any format overrides that can be avoided are
usually best so.

As for your comment:

> It is almost a universal axiom that a more usable product required more
> development time and effort.

It is also a nearly universal axiom that there are many ways to attain
nearly any end. As the cliche would have it, a closed mind is as
useful as a closed parachute.

In the shops I have worked in through the past few years, there is
simply not enough time or budget to "hand roll" documents unless it is
absolutely necessary. I happen to think it is not, and that the job
can be much better done as I have outlined.

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com