Re: Value of our profession?

Subject: Re: Value of our profession?
From: "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson -at- freeway -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:57:14 -0500

Lee Hunter wrote:
> The problem with your example is that Fairchild Publications does
have an
> editorial staff.

>I'm not sure that the magazine staff should be blamed for this. The
>mistake was in advertising content which would have been supplied by
>the advertiser or an advertising agency.

>It's not really the magazine's responsibility to check supplied
>creative.

Oh really! Television networks take a huge interest in what
advertisers put in ads. Rolling Stone recently considered rejecting an
ad because of content. They relented and ran the ad, but my point is
that publishers do care about ads. Advertisements can create a huge
liability for publishers and a URL to a website with distasteful
content could come back and bite them in the rear. Those kinds of
things take very little effort to verify and could be worth the
effort. It's cheap insurance. As technical writers, we need to
remember to verify details. Unchecked details have a way of biting us
in the rear too.

--
Tom Johnson
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com