RE: When to use screenshots

Subject: RE: When to use screenshots
From: peter -at- softwell -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:34:04 +0000

>I'm wondering if any of you out there use explicit guidelines for when
>writers should use screenshots.

I'm a strong believer in minimal screenshots, BUT make sure the title of the DLL is clear and explicit and quoted exactly in the
text. Wherever possible, the description of the screen's fields should be in the help, not the documentation.

>At the company where I work as an editor, we're getting pressure from the
>localization department to drastically cut down on the number of
>screenshots in our guides. They localize into eight languages and spend
>way too much time, hence money, on recreating screenshots in the different
>languages.

Is the application localized? If so, then there should be no need to do anything other than just re-capture the screenshot.
If it's not, then why change them?

>On the one hand, we've identified the need to use common fictitious data
>in the processes we're making screenshots of (user names, file names,
>etc.), shared with localization, so localization can quickly set up their
>screens.

A good idea, but can't you set up a test implementation of the product with the names inserted?

>On the other, in my editing I'm seeing that lots of writers are throwing
>in screenshots when there really isn't any need for them. I'm now quite
>ruthless about tossing out screenshots.

Agreed, many new or poor writers will insert screenshots just to bulk out the documentation.

>My own off-the-top-of-my-head rule of thumb is that to be considered
>necessary, a screenshot has to help users get information quickly that
>they won't get just as fast by simply looking at the screen (assuming they
>are actually using the product as they read the doc). This seems to be:

As I've already said - use the help system. Also work with the developers to ensure that the screens present meaningful
names for the fields to be filled in or for the the action buttons.

Peter

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com