Re: When to use screenshots

Subject: Re: When to use screenshots
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:19:51 -0800 (PST)

> ...have far fewer screenshots (actually, almost none). There's
> nothing I find quite as annoying in an online doc or help than
> one that throws up a giant capture of the same screeen I'm
> already looking at in the actual application.

What if it's NOT the same screen?

I'm in the "screenshots are good" camp. I maintain that we are not
typical of the users to whom we're writing. We, on a whole, are not
intimidated by applications...we see them as challenges. OTOH, most
of the people I've written toward appreciate the feedback that
confirms they are doing it right, and comparing where they are to
where they should be has always worked in my favor.

It was an odd thing. I was in a meeting where we were planning the
training deliverables (electronic and printed). In the meeting was my
boss (a documentation guy) and three management people each from tech
sales support and phone support departments. Right to a man/woman, my
boss was pushing for less screens, saying that users don't want them,
and everyone who had direct contact with the users (which was
everyone else) was pushing for more screen shots, that it made their
job easier and the customers more comfortable.

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com