Re: When to use screenshots

Subject: Re: When to use screenshots
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:19:12 -0700

Peter,

I disagree. To use or not to use screen shots depends on the nature of the material being discussed and the audience. Some people would rather read about forms. Other's would rather see what the forms looked like. More often than not, our job as technical writer is to help the reader understand the nature of the material we discuss in the quickest time possible. If this means using a lot of screen shots, then so be it. An informative book full of screen shots is not easier to create than one full of prose, because to do it right requires more than just the ability to turn a phrase. The ones that end up looking like junk are usually done by individuals with little graphics experience or by companies that place little if any value in quality manuals. ( I know, I've spent the better part of the last year cleaning those kinds of documents. You know the ones---they usually have covers titled "Operational and Trouble-shooting Manual.") I guess this is a long way of saying that sometimes pictures are better than words, and other times the words are more important. But, both suffer if content and quality are placed second to expediency.

Al

Peter Neilson wrote:

When I'm BUYING a book on some sort of software I usually flip through
it to see if it has lots of screenshots. If it does, I don't buy it,
because I assume the writer failed to address the essential concepts
and used screenshots instead. For instance, for a DB book I would
much prefer a serious discussion of the five normal forms, with several
exemplary tables, than to see a bunch of screenshots purporting to
be in the various normal forms. But the latter book's a lot easier
to write.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com