Re: Expectations (possible rant - it IS Friday!)

Subject: Re: Expectations (possible rant - it IS Friday!)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:12:37 -0800

Yes, I have, as a writer/employee, a consultant and as a manager/employee. My first step is to spell out, "here's
what you said you want, here's what we're going to need
to do to get there/here's what can be done with what you're
able/willing to put into the effort." I work out as many of
the potential corners that might be cut and then spell out in
black and white (and sometimes in living color presentation
slides) what the options are, then stand back and let them
tell me which plan they choose to go with. In the case of
direct positions, I work on getting an understanding before
the offer is accepted, in the case of consulting work, before
the contract is signed. In each case, I have on occasion
chosen to pass on work because that understanding seemed
lacking.

Oh, and I *never* take on the "getting across that technical
writing is a profession." I *am* a professional, and I go in
with the attitude that I have nothing to prove in that regard.
If the company/client doesn't seem to get that upfront, there's
nothing else for us to talk about. The big red flag for me in
any position description is "serve as document evangelist."
Call me *after* you've already decided you need this stuff.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robyn Richards" <robynrrr -at- hotmail -dot- com>

In both these events, it seems to me the expectations on the
Technical Writer are quite high, with some strange assumptions
being made. The Tech Writer is expected to be able to produce
deliverables, (in the second case almost instantly), as if by 'magic'.
There is no understanding of the requirements of Technical Writing,
not indeed that there are different methods and different skill sets.

My questions are: have you found this to be the case? How do you
manage such expectations? How do you get across the fact that
Technical Writing is a profession and not just "the ability to write"?

Robyn (who's hoping to hear that not ALL companies have such little
understanding of Technical Writing and to glean some information on
how to 'train' her employers in this area)

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com