RE: Matching the CAPITALIZATION of the interface

Subject: RE: Matching the CAPITALIZATION of the interface
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:56:16 -0500

> (A) In the PARAMETERS section of the ACCESS form,
> select blah blah
> blah...
> OR
> (B) In the Parameters section of the Access form,
> select blah blah
> blah...
>
> One side of this discussion is that you match the interface, and
thus
> (A) is best practice; in fact, not to do so is to
> editorialize that we
> don't like the redesign. The other side is that (B) is
> quieter in text,
> and that readers won't have any trouble translating what's
written to
> what's on screen.
>
> I have a strong opinion on this matter, and there are
> hundreds of such
> references in my book and thousands in the doc set hanging in the

> balance. What do YOU think?

To Andreas' solution, I would add that you could also look into the
possibility of rephrasing the steps so that "of the X form" doesn't
have to be repeated. You can establish that everything that takes
place does so on the X form. Also, if this is in Windows, I suggest
use of the terminology presented in the Microsoft Manual of Style
(MMOS). For example, using "Under X, select the thing you want."

By "small caps," I also include those of a different font, which
may be much smaller than those in the body font.

Bonnie Granat | www.GranatEdit.com
bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, US

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l