Re: common text in Framemaker 7.0

Subject: Re: common text in Framemaker 7.0
From: William Gaffga <WilG -at- GibbsCAM -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:46:10 -0800

Text insets are the perfect answer for your need. You create a separate text or FM file that you can import (like a graphic). If you change the text in the external file, the imported reference is automatically updated.
I use a text file for most imported references.
FM files are good if you need to preserve particular formatting.
Check the FM manual, its section on Text Insets should be helpful. If you are a member of the FrameUsers discussion list, there are some excellent tips and info on this topic.

HTH.
Will.

On Feb 21, 2005, at 1:27 AM, Sierra Bruckner wrote:

I am currently starting a documentation project in Framemaker 7.0 (unstructured). I will be writing separate manuals for several different software modules and some of the text about a specific feature that appears in one manual will be used in other manuals. Because it may need to be updated frequently, I would like to use some kind of an import or link function so that I can update text in one manual and have the changes automatically appear in the other manuals. Is there a way to import a section of text (not an entire file) or am I stuck with copy and paste?
The Framemaker files will later be converted to Online Help via Webworks Publisher Professional.
Any suggestion about how I can set this up would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Sierra

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com