Wanted: "Right" Standards for User Manual (appliance)?

Subject: Wanted: "Right" Standards for User Manual (appliance)?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:38:42 -0500

Greg Richards wondered: <<I work for a commercial kitchen equipment manufacturer that is trying to get a little more professional with its user documentation. A typical product would be a refrigerator or food warmer. I am dazed and confused searching for relevant standards for user documentation.>>

That's probably because there are no broadly recognized overall standards. You may be able to find some international standards for specific things such as warning symbols*, but I've never believed that (for a general audience) these standards make much difference; I strongly suspect that the clarity of the wording and of the layout is far more important than any nominally "standard" symbols, since most nontechnical readers don't know the standard exists and thus, may not be familiar with it unless they read a lot of labels.

* See, for example, an illustration of the ISO 3864 labels at <http://www.safetylabelsolutions.com/Standards/International/ international.html> and check out the organization itself at <http://www.iso.org/iso/en/ISOOnline.frontpage> to track down the standard.

At the moment, our profession is in one of those states of evolution where we have a wide range of supposed "best practices", only some of which are supported by good research and only some of which are broadly generalizable. This leaves us in the uncomfortable situation of having to do our best to reinvent the wheel for each new type of project. Fortunately, we have lots of wheelwrights here on techwr-l. <g>

<<The equipment is very simple to use--mostly, we are talking on/off and some maintenance. So that's easy to cover; but I want to make sure we comply with standards for safety and hazard cautions, warnings.>>

My recommendation is to visit your local appliance store to see what kinds of approaches are being taken in the manuals for a range of products. These are the kinds of approaches that consumers will be familiar with, irrespective of whether they know of any standard.

www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com