RE: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: RE: What Are Writing Skills?
From: Kelley <kelley -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:34:52 -0500

At 12:03 PM 2/26/2005, Tony Markos -- all your DFDs are belong to us -- wrote:

Boy, one really needs to cover all bases when posting
on this listserv! Like when I post stating that
grammar skills are not very important to a TW,
inevitably someone will strongly object, basically
stating that if you are a complete grammar cripple -
like a third grade dropout - you are not going to be
able to write. Well yeah, but the truth is also that
if you have completed grammar 101 at least a grade of
B - which an awful lot of people have - you have all
the grammar skills you need to be a TW.

Tony Markos
Show Me Your DFDs

Hi Tony,

:) That's pretty much the way it works on any list, in my experience. One problem you're encountering is that techcomm encompasses a pretty wide range of activities: from documenting software to technical training to technology writing.

And, of course, we work in a range of industries and write for diverse audiences.

So, any blanket statement you make (including the one I just made about tech comm including technology writing which, IIRC. was the subject of much dispute a few years ago) isn't likely to comport with everyone's experience. Naturally, they'll object. :)

Yet, it's this very diversity that makes this list (and others like it) so valuable.

Kelley

--
Got SOX? Get training!

Ink Works Publication Services
Web: http://www.inkworkswell.com
Voice: +1 (727) 942-9255
E-mail: greenmank -at- inkworkswell -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com