Re: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:42:14 -0800 (PST)

--- David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Tony,

You asked what is involved in "structuring
information." As is so often the case, let us see a
protracted example of what it is not......

Tony Markos responds:

I need to know what "structuring information" IS - not
what it is not. I need concrete specifics on what
techniques are used and what steps are taken.

David Neely stated (regarding the definition of
information structuring):

...the skill of marshaling information in a logical
manner that meets the needs of the audience--that is
persuasive in helping "sell" the needed information;
that is clear and concise; and that includes what is
needed *and little or nothing else* in an arrangement
that makes it most accessible to the user...that is
all part of what seems to me to be "information
structuring" that is basic but essential to technical
writers.

Tony Markos responds:

First of all, if this is so basic and essential, why
are you couching your definition with "what seems to
me"?

Secondly, with the exception of selling, all of what
you say (above) is done in analysis. (Actually, I can
make a case for selling also, but don't have the time
right now.)

David, in anlysis, we utilize specific, concrete
techniques when doing things like "marshaling
information in a logical manner": Data Flow Diagrams,
Entity Relationship Diagrams, Transition State
Diagrams. And creating these concrete artifacts
requires a very specific, concrete set of steps.

Using "marshaling information in a logical
manner" as an example, please state what specific
techniques are used and steps required in structuring
information. Unless these can be identifie for me, I
have to believe that "stucturing information" does not
exist - that it is just poor man's analysis.

P.S. Other TW's have told me that "structuring
information" is but a vague concept - that is why
college English and Journalism departments have such a
hard time trying to teach it. So, after you have ID's
the specific techniques and steps of sturturing
information here, I suggest that you present them to
academia. Better yet, market and sell such to
academia; you will be able to make a big buck.

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com