Re: What Are Writing Skills

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:54:15 -0800 (PST)

Damien:

You define the structuring of information - the "meat"
of writing skills - pretty much the same as some
others have on this thread:

1.) First we perform an analysis to understand the
product - without getting a rigorous
understanding the user's essential needs.

2.) Then we provide the information the users
need to carry out their tasks (i.e., structure
the information).

Unfortunately, this is defining the structuring of
information relative to a definition of very poor
analysis - often worthless analysis. Therefore, this
definition of info structuring can not be valid.

The only valid analysis is analysis in which we, first
and foremost, come up with a comprehensive integrated
understanding of essential end-user goals and tasks
(or as you refer to them "needs") and the
interrelationships between those goals/tasks. In
other words: It is not possible to perform a valid
analysis without doing what you (and others) suggest
is not done until the structuring of information -
really understanding the user.

(Note: Granted, during analysis, we may also consider
implementation related considerations; however, all
such considerations have to be "pigeon-holed" within
our overall architecture of interrelated user
goals/tasks.)

Tony Markos

--- Damien Braniff <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com> wrote:

I think everyone would agree that you need to
understand a 'product'before you can document it. ....

....Once you've got the information and know how it
works what is you job? You need to structure the
information for the user. To me this involves:
Providing the information the users needs to carry
out their tasks. Additional background information can
be provided if necessary.....

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com