Re: Document review process? (take II)

Subject: Re: Document review process? (take II)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 06:25:10 -0800 (PST)

> # Because I reject that opinion of Word? It's flaky, unstable,
> # impossible to inforce style structure, a file size pig, etc.
>
> Tom: "What's a tech writer?" Dick: "S.o. who works with FrameMaker
> and insists that this is the only way to get the job done properly
> - and every other job, too." Wow ...

I happen to know what my deliverable is going to be, having done
something similar at a recent gig (B&N.com). I know its complexity. I
know what my boss wants for a deliverable. Add these factors together
and Word is simply out of it's league. If I was writing a 200 page
User Guide, Word would be fine. I'm writing a 5,000 page set of
system documentation for an enterprise application that will be
divided into about 12 volumes, cross referenced throughout, with X%
of sections in common acros volumes. This will then be output in PDF
and Online help. This is simply not for what Word should be used.

Call me what you will, but I've done this before and I was successful
before. I'd like the maximum advantage to be successful again.

> BTW: Since 2003 you can protect any document from direct formatting
> and allow only the use of a defined set of styles. So you can very
> well "inforce style structure" in Word ...

Now we just have to address all of Word's other problems.

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com